Friday, January 27, 2012

Covered Girls

I was in fourth grade when the 9/11 attacks occurred, and looking back I remember everyone saying how close it brought the American people. Unfortunately watching this video made me realize that even in times of dire struggle and heartache, sadly our society always singles out some aspect of a minority group and discriminates against them.

I found it appalling that people would spit on young Muslim girls who obviously have no ties to the attacks or the terrorist group behind them. It is called a terrorist group for a reason, because it does not represent the population of people from which it derived.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people play into stereotypes, but I find myself especially sensitive to people regarding to Muslims as terrorists. I do not know exactly why that is, but my reaction to the film was disappointment towards the American people inappropriately taking their anger about the 9/11 attacks out on American Muslims. Although I do not remember much of the press coverage from the time, I am sure that the media did not help cast the Muslim population as a whole in good lighting - as they still continue today to use slander towards the religion today.

The Islamic religion is meant to be peaceful, and it is sad that the media focuses so much on a group of people who are so terribly misrepresenting the mass majority of followers. I am happy that the girls in the film are able to positively express themselves and refute all the negative connotations correlated with hijabs and Muslim society.

The following website is not exactly what I would call legit, but it is a faith forum that takes exurbs out of the Qur'an to show that the Islamic religion is not commanded to hate all other religions - including Christianity. I think that many people fall prey to our media and full-heartedly believe that Muslims hate Christians. To those people I say - you need to do some research and learn to discern between what is really the truth and what is just a good story in the news.

Here it is: Do Muslims Hate Christians?

No comments:

Post a Comment