Sunday, February 26, 2012

Why Tourism Matters

I think tourism is very interesting. I never really thought about the dynamics of tourism, but I have seen first hand the differences between the lives of tourists and the lives of natives. "Why Tourism Matters" reminded me of my trip to the Turks and Caicos when I was 14. I had toured to Alaska before that trip, and I remember feeling like I liked the Alaska trip more because the surroundings seemed so much more friendly and normal. In Turks and Caicos everything outside of the tourist regions was run down and third-world county esk. It was a wonderful trip, but I can see how sometimes tourism does not necessarily help a country any more than it hinders it.

The essay also highlighted that tourism is fun and frivolous, so it is often not studied. I think it is good to study tourism, because it is such a wonderful way to observe how one culture can directly affect another. If two cultures are placed very close to one another unnaturally then an change can be observed whether it is nationalistic or a merging of the two cultures. I think it would be a very interesting thing to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment